This Blog is Stolen Property

Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Lot of Nice Things Turn Bad Out There


My coffee pot broke last weekend, leading me to a serious contemplation of Islam.

So, I've been buying coffee in the shop by my office. The coffee's very good and the people who work there are very nice. I went in this morning (what else does one do on a Sunday but go to work?) and for the third - the third - time this week Cat Stevens was playing.

The kid working all three times looks sort of like a cross between John Doe and Dave Navarro. Doesn't exactly look like the typical Cat Stevens fan.

On a side note, women visibly swoon when they see this guy. Actually swoon. It's shameless and unseemly. Not to mention unfair to me, over whom women never swoon. This kid clearly gets more trim than Mr. Monk's banzai tree. Just by showing up.

But I've managed to put my resentment aside. He really is a nice kid, and it's not his fault that I'm old and starting to get a little paunchy and women wouldn't look at me if I was on fire.

Where was I? Oh yeah, Cat Stevens. So three times this week this pierced and inked and entirely too-cool person chose to put on a Cat Stevens album.

It got me wondering if this is some reaction to the US war on all things Islam. Is Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam cool now? Is listening to him an act of protest?

I mean, I understand the impulse. Every time I hear something about the "clash of civilzations" or "crusade" or "good versus evil" or "black and white" getting trotted out by the administration to legitimize their hazily understood war or their use of torture and illegal surveillance--every time I hear it, I feel kind of defensive about Islam.

I start thinking, "You know, the Taliban is just misunderstood. They just want to protect women."

Now, I don't know anything more about Islam than I did five years ago. But I am more than ever convinced that the terrorists are a fringe sect of a basically peaceful faith. I'm convinced of this out of sheer contrarianism, I admit, as a reaction to being preached to about "evil" by the White House. My own version of truthiness, I suppose.

But Cat Stevens? Really?

First of all, the whole fatwa thing. I would like to go on record to say that I think it is very wrong to try to kill Salman Rushdie. Although...maybe if someone could have just
disabled him somehow while he was writing Fury....no, no. Fatwas are wrong.

An even more powerful reason, though, to not let political dissent shape your musical choices is this rhyme from "Moonshadow":

If I should ever lose my mouth,
All my teeth North and South.

Worst. Rhyme. Ever.

Some things just can't be forgiven.

I realize that there is a non-ideological explanation for this ridiculously attractive coffee guy to be listening to Cat Stevens: he actually likes Cat Stevens. But this just seems too incredible.

Although in the interest of full disclosure, I was tortured in my formative years by my older sister's copy of Teaser and the Firecat, which she played endlessly. And sang along with. To this day she defends the "north and south" rhyme.

4 Comments:

  • It does seem too incredible that anyone could stand to listen to Cat Stevens AGAIN, but I think that lovers of his music are like that -- just like your sister, they listen to his stuff over and over again (not like me with The Last Waltz, right?). But I've decided that's just the way it is -- people who have no idea what good music is will never understand the difference between the so called "rock and roll" they thought they were listening to with "Foreigner" or whatever -- and the for real rock and roll I was listening to with The Velvet Underground and Bloodwyn Pig. They don't get the difference, and I'm not kidding -- they really don't!

    Oh well.

    On the other hand, as for your sister's defense of those lyrics: You've been giving her a reason to defend them, havencha, Feemus? Keep bringing it up every couple of years, don'cha?

    I know because I myself have a sister who refused to read any further in The World According To Garp because of the scene in the gym where Jenny tries a somersault on the mats. She hated Jenny so much for that cuteness that she never finished the book.

    You know what that means, don't you? It means she missed some of the other considerably great stuff that comes later in that book. I asked her once if she ever got back to it, and she told me no and for the same reason again...so I'm done discussing it with her. I don't want to hear about how much she hates Irving for that. Instead, we talk about how much Thurber still makes us laugh.

    Anyway, I think you're poor sister is defending those lyrics because you're making her defend them. (This flies in the face of practical vampire slaying, incidentally. According to that, no one can make us do anything. Except for Donald Rumsfield.)

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 11:23 AM  

  • oh, Slayer, you leave me in stitches.

    I was laughing so hard at this that I almost didn't notice that you compared me to Donald Rumsfeld.

    And maybe a vampire!

    Kazoinks.

    But, really, you can't compare The Band and Cat Stevens. Or, maybe you can, but you shouldn't.

    While you've got my MO pegged (it would be like me to provoke my sister into an argument about a song), in this instance I gotta plead innocent.

    My sister, who is in just about every other respect pretty much perfect and my best buddy, has the WORST taste in music. Now, I've made peace with the fact that she'll never know Lou Reed from Lou Rawls, BUT she remains convinced that if I would just *really* listen to stuff like Cat Stevens, Harry Chapin, and Andrew Lloyd Webber, I would like it.

    And so she plays it.

    And then she points out the moments that are extra "good." And then she summarizes the story of the song (she really likes the narrative songs). And I make gagging noises.

    It's our little ritual and we like it.

    On some level, though, I think she really is convinced that if I would just give it a chance I would like it. It's one of the things I like about my sister: she never thinks that anyone is *wrong*--it's just that they haven't thought about it enough to agree with her!

    Rumsfeld? Wounded, I am wounded.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 5:08 PM  

  • Harry Chapin? Ew, that's a good one, Feemus! And I know JUST what you mean when you say she thinks if you really listened to it, you'd like it. I finally gave that up myself when I was about...oh, forty-seven, I think. I thought if my husband would just give Bjork or The Daily Show a chance, you know? But no dice, man. No dice.

    And listen, Feem, I just got back from Chicago and I'm kinda loopy, but even in my loopiness I never meant to imply you had anything in common with Donald Rumsfeld...that was just a nod to torture and "making people do stuff." And the other thing is, I'm so goofy that the story I told about my sister didn't even apply -- unless you put it on inside-out and backwards. Honest, I'm beat.

    Okay and one more thing -- I'll see your Harry Chapin and raise you a John Cougar Mellencamp.

    Honest to God, that guy is SO BORING I can't BELIEVE what I'm hearing when he comes on the radio! Shades of Barbara Stanwyck!!

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 6:03 PM  

  • Oooh...John Cougar Mellencamp. Good one. That's just one of those totally inexplicable careers. Who listens to that and thinks, "wow, what a talented guy!"?

    It's like New Country. Who likes that? Now, I loves me some Hank and Lefty, but Garth Brooks? Hank Jr.? It's just so insipid.

    I had a dream about Robbie Robertson once where he came over to my house and I made him a peanut butter sandwich and asked him to stop singing "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." So I guess I'm insufferably self-righteous even in my dreams. He was super cool, though. He didn't want jelly on his sandwich, which I thought was odd. But very cool.

    I hope you were in Chicago for fun.

    And I'm taking the Rumsfeld thing to my grave. Just so you know. (I know you didn't mean what I said you meant, but I have to make my fun)

    By Blogger Feemus, at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home