This Blog is Stolen Property

Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Christmas Story

My department had its holiday party last night.

These are always interesting affairs. The logic of getting a hundred or so socially awkward people together and adding alcohol eludes me. I always think that there is a really good parlor game just waiting to be invented for events like these. I see it involving the DSM-IV, a copy of Jane Eyre, and a dart board. I think I'll call it "Guess My Affliction!"

The details aren't quite worked out yet.

At any rate, I ended up talking to this guy I quite like. But the holiday party just brings out awkwardness.

Him: Did you hear that Sting has a new album out?

Me: [In full avoidance mode] I like The Police...

Him: It's lute music.

Me: Oh...

Him: Renaissance lute music.

Me: Well, um, is there any other kind?

Him: I just can't think of anything more awesome. I mean, Sting and lute music.

Me: We're very different people, you and I.

2 Comments:

  • I suppose now I will have to say of Sting what I often say of Stevie Wonder (to young people like my daughter), "Yeah, he used to be really good...I'm not sure exactly what happened."

    Actually, though, it is probably truer to say that Sting has every once in a while gotten it exactly right (Every Little Thing/Synchronicity) and sometimes gets it so wrong I just cannot understand (Fields of om..whatever it was..Barley???).

    When Stevie Wonder got it right (I Was Made To Love Her) he got it SO right you can just forget about it. I forgive him ANYTHING (unmentionable)for that one.

    What does Buddy say of Seymour's poetry? Something about, "even if he never wrote another line of poetry, he could still flash what he had at you with the back of his ear if he wanted to...?"

    That's kind of how I feel about Stevie Wonder....and without a doubt how I feel about Bob Dylan. He's earned the right to whatever he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

    Am I making ANY sense this morning?

    Anyway, sorry to hear about Sting...and when someone tells me this kind of thing at a party, I often make use of this magically diplomatic word. I go: Wow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 AM  

  • Were we separated at birth??

    I'm always trying to convince people that Stevie used to be cool--funkin' you up old school, yo!

    Sting, I guess, was always the least cool thing about the Police, so maybe it's not a big surprise that he decided to stop rocking and started writing songs to make the young girls cry.

    And while I still love Dylan and think he's still doing interesting work, I am having a hard time getting over the Victoria's Secret ads. Fighting for the right for breast to be as perky as they wanna be? Dude, that's just uncool. UNCOOL!


    "Wow."

    that's a great all-purpose answer. I am totally stealing that.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home