This Blog is Stolen Property

Monday, December 04, 2006

I Just Fell Off the Wagon--Right Onto the Ass Which I am Now Laughing Off

Sigh. That didn't take long.

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been on a strict no-news regime. It had lasted for several days. But apparently old habits are hard to break. I clicked "publish post" on my last and some Pavlovian trigger caused me to go to washingtonpost.com. Really, I didn't mean to.

I think that blogging is a "gateway medium." It leads to harder news.

But I can't say that I am entirely sorry to have slipped. Because in the Washington Post I read this:

[Hair] Stylist Paves says the stigma against wearing hair you weren't born with has lessened over the past few years. "Women were afraid to admit they were wearing extensions," he says. "It meant that their hair wasn't perfect. There are women that still don't talk about it. I think that's silly."

Paves gives credit for the mass-market trend to [Jessica] Simpson for her openness. "She's never been afraid of it. Jessica has taken the taboo out of wearing hair extensions."

Thank God! Thank God we have Jessica Simpson to take the cruel social stigma out of white girls wearing fake hair. She's like a modern-day Marie Curie. Or Frederick Douglass. Or Ryan White. Blazing trails and speaking truth to power. Standing up for the dignity of all glued-on-Barbie-hair wearing women (or should I say womyn?) everwhere.

You go, girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home