This Blog is Stolen Property

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Major Anxiety

September is almost here, and I am frantically trying to prepare for fall semester. I was fretting about this with some friends recently. We were bemoaning the impending lack of freedom, the soon-to-be crowded campus, but most of all the return of the undergraduates.

The return of students means the return of complaints about grades (I can't -*sob*- believe - *sniffle* - that you gave me - *gasp* - a B+).

The return of students means the return of a seemingly endless barrage of emails asking questions such as:*

"When is the test?" (That date on the syllabus might just be an estimate, after all)

"Where is Davis Hall?" (Map? What is this "map" of which you speak?)

"Is there a higher power in the universe?" (and will this be on the final?)

In the midst of all this half-serious bitching, one woman said something that stopped the laughter faster than a pedophile joke:

"I bet we are going to get Freshmen who want to major in Symbology."

I know I've blogged about this before, but is there any limit to Dan Brown's evil power?

One of the things my students find hardest to grasp is a comfort with, or even a delight in complexity, uncertainty, openendedness. They are very concerned about being right. It is this concern that leads them to write very boring essays, which are little more than summaries and that pointedly ignore any rough edges (where, of course, all the real interest lies).

It also attracts them to theoretical explanations that are tidy and totalizing, that explain away all uncertainty, plurality, tension (where, of course, the real interest lies. The facile assumption of The Da Vinci Code is that if the alternate account of history were true, it would "solve for" all those works of art, instead of merely acting as a new starting point. My students' excuse is that they are very young. What is Dan Brown's excuse?).

They want decoder rings. They want to find Professor Causabon's Key to all Mythologies, apply it to a text and have done.

Oddly enough, many of my best and most creative students are from the hard sciences. I think this is because they are very comfortable with the idea of making mistakes. Mistakes are built into the scientific method, and scientists understand that making them is an essential part of the process of discovery.

There are better things than being right. Learning, for one, is better than being right.

*Actual questions from students.

4 Comments:

  • It's funny you bring this up since I was daydreaming the other day about the inevitability this problem in the near future with our daughter Madeline(now nine). I was remembering how I must have strained my parents' patience with my lectures to them about Carlos Casteneda when I was 13 or 14 -- how trite my thinking was but what a necessary stage this is for all of us. I hope I am at least as kind and generous with her as my parents were with me...but, of course, I'm not there yet!

    And didn't Hemmingway write a book about this? About that big fish?

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 1:53 PM  

  • Carlos Casteneda? Wow.

    It's fun, kind of, to have kids lecture you. My six year old niece is always giving me lectures about everything. I think it's really exciting to see people have initial reactions to things.

    Triteness doesn't bother me much in student work. Everyone is allowed to "get it" for the first time, right? Everyone is allowed to read Paradise Lost and say: hey, that Satan guy seems cooler than God. What's the deal with that?

    Everyone has this reaction and I think that a teacher's job is to honor these first engagements.

    My frustration is with the students who won't allow themselves to have this engagement. They are so concerned with getting the right answer that they don't betray any engagement at all.

    These are invariably the students who are the most concerned with grades.

    It was a grouchy-sounding post. I'm not really this grouchy about my job. Just sometimes.

    It's really great to remind students that they have intellectual authority and that they should exercise it. The grouchiness comes in when they refuse!

    I somehow don't see *your* daughter being so concerned with pleasing other people that she doesn't try to think for herself!!

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:00 PM  

  • oh please hold the wows...I was lecturing them on what I skimmed only! That's another reason I so appreciate their patience with me...I was so full of crap.

    Anyway, I bet you're a great teacher, Feemus. You sure sound ALIVE.

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 3:34 PM  

  • Full of crap?

    Sounds familiar. Wish I'd outgrown it when I was 14!

    By Blogger Feemus, at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home