This Blog is Stolen Property

Friday, January 05, 2007

From A to B: A Play in One Scene

I overheard this conversation today. What I didn't hear was how it began, so we may never know what important point was never made.

A: It does what? It whats the problems of development?

B: Adumbrates. It adumbrates the problems of development.

A: Adumbrates?

B: Yes, adumbrates. It means to...

A: I know what it means. But who says that? Who says "adumbrate"?

B: I do. I say "adumbrate."

A: No one says "adumbrate."

Not sure why this struck my fancy. But it certainly must be in the running for the much-coveted "Conversation That Employs 'Adumbrate' Most Frequently."

I with A--no one says (or should say) "adumbrate."

5 Comments:

  • *rifling through dictionary*

    I've gotten so much smarter since I started blogging :)

    Just soaking it in.

    By Blogger Sherri, at 7:03 AM  

  • Sherri's not a definition-cheater. I, on the other hand, am waiting around for someone to spill the beans on this word.

    Feemus, the dialog here is so PERFECT it kills me. You got the ear, fella.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

  • Cheaters never prosper, Miz C.

    Oh wait--that's not true.

    Adumbrate: To represent a substance by its ‘shadow’ or emblem; to shadow forth, to typify; hence, to foreshadow, prefigure, as ‘coming events cast their shadows before.’

    But I still don't know what was adumbrating the problems of development...

    By Blogger Feemus, at 9:39 AM  

  • What's Happening i'm fresh to this. I came accross this board I find It exceedingly accommodating & it has helped me tons. I should be able to give something back & guide other people like its helped me.

    Thank's, Catch You Around.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 AM  

  • Hi-ya i am new to this. I came accross this chat board I have found It extremely helpful & its helped me out so much. I hope to contribute and support others like it has helped me.

    Thanks, See You Later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home