This Blog is Stolen Property

Friday, June 01, 2007

THIS is Why People Hate the Democrats

It's the endless self-righteous hypocrisy.

I was walking around this afternoon in a state in which Kerry beat Bush by 25% and in a district in which Kerry beat him by over 50%. I live in the bluest county of the bluest state.

This is a neighborhood in which, as this afternoon, those annoying Greenpeace clipboard-holding haranguers get a sympathetic ear and donations from passers-by (not me--I don't care how good your cause is, I think it's rude to accost people on the street. But I'm a curmudgeon).

And in one short block, in this bluest district of this bluest state, I passed THREE buildings that had their air conditioners blasting and their doors wide open. Two were restaurants and one is an arcade with large doors on either side. It's nice to have such a building with such a walkway. But to air condition the whole building and leave the freaking doors open?

That's just obscene.

And this, I think, is why people hate the Demorcrats. They preach about how America uses up too many natural resources, and bitch about the culture of excess, but as soon as their own comfort or their own business's bottom-line is involved, they punk out. They start talking in vague terms about structural change.

Of course we need structural change. We need to find new and renewable energy sources. We need to develop more energy efficient appliances. We also need to not be air conditioning the fucking out of doors every time it gets uncomfortably warm. Then maybe the Democrats can get some credibility back.

This rant was brought to you by the good people at DuPont.

5 Comments:

  • Now, now. There, there, Feemus.

    Speaking of which, think Gore'll run?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

  • Yeah--I think I was crabby when I wrote that. Because it was so hot!

    I don't know. This new Gore is someone I think I could get behind. No more of this pro-business "centrist" crap that he learned as VP.

    Did you watch the debates? Bill Richardson was looking pretty freaking presidential, I thought.

    Do you think Gore is going to run?

    By Blogger Feemus, at 6:52 AM  

  • Did you recognize the "now now there there" line as one of Elliot Rosewater's? I stole it.

    And....hmmm: I think he might. But I still think (as I've been saying since the Democratic Convention in 2004) Obama is the one who can win.

    And yes, I could get behind this Gore, too. So to speak.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 PM  

  • yes, of course, "so to speak."

    To speak otherwise would be unseemly!!!

    By Blogger Feemus, at 6:09 PM  

  • oh, and I am afraid I didn't recognize it.

    If I had a nickel for every time I had to have a literary allusion pointed out for me........well, I wouldn't have to teach literature any more!!

    there's an irony there somewhere....

    By Blogger Feemus, at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home