This Blog is Stolen Property

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Take That, Max Weber!

Max Weber dreamt of an ideal type of bureaucracy that had the potential to liberate the governance of organizations from cults of personality and the arbitrary exercise of power. He saw in this ideal bureaucracy a type of administrative power that was fair, impersonal, and rational.

Max Weber never worked for my employer.

I got a letter on Tuesday stating that my health insurance has been cancelled. But my deduction is being refunded.

What the fuck????

I have been on the phone almost non-stop for the past several days, talking to every single person at this place who might possibly be able to help. Or at least tell me what in the hell happened.

But everyone I talk to tells me to talk to someone else. I've logged more phone time than a teenage girl during prom season. And I have yet to hear if Debbie really really likes my dress or if she's just pretending so that I'll let her ride in the limo with us.

The most help I've gotten is from the guy who said: "Well, maybe you can, you know, like buy some insurance somewhere."

Yeah, buddy. I wish I'd thought of that.

The funny thing is, what Weber and everyone else say about bureaucracy, that it's "impersonal," is starting to feel very untrue. It's starting to feel VERY personal.

So now I have to worry about encroaching paranoia as well as getting sick while I don't have insurance. Great. Just great.

2 Comments:

  • Eek! Good luck with getting that sorted out. Like most Canadians, I have a horror of the American medical system. (And, y'know, just a dribble of smugness about not being part of it.)

    But to be fair, it sounds like most Americans have a horror of it too. Not having insurance sounds like a furiously scary thing to face.

    By Blogger jjdebenedictis, at 11:16 PM  

  • Sigh. I wish I were Canadian. I would be thoroughly smug!!

    What's funny is that even though everyone here knows how fucked up our health care is, even lots of "liberals" get freaked out by the notion of single payer insurance.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home