This Blog is Stolen Property

Monday, October 08, 2007

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

I recently had an anniversary of sorts. On September 28th, 2001, after spending more than half my life as a smoker I finally gave up cigarettes.

Now, I haven't been perfect. There have been a few lapses, usually at a party or during a particularly busy time at work. Because the smoke bone, as we all know, is connected to both the drink bone and the stress bone.

And I still dream about smoking. I dream about pulling the little cellophane tab, opening up the top and removing the foil-covered paper releasing that first whiff of tobacco that promises both comfort and excitement.

But in the past 6 years, I've smoked maybe 30 cigarettes. And I'd switched brands to OPC (Other People's Cigarettes, for those of you who've never had this monkey on your back).

Because for all that I dream about it, I don't really have any desire to smoke anymore. Nor do I particularly have any nicotine cravings.

So I was bewildered on Thursday when I went to the grocery store, did my shopping, got to the checkout line and asked the clerk for a pack of Camels.

She went to get them while I stood there stunned, blinking at my unintended and purely reflexive request. I wanted to tell her, "Wait, I don't want those. I don't smoke." But I was too stupefied. And frankly a little embarassed to admit that I'd gone into some instinctual timewarp.

It would be like telling the waiter when he brings your ribeye, "I'm sorry, but I am a vegan."

So I put the cigarettes in my bag, hoping that the soy milk and organic kale wouldn't judge them too harshly on the walk home. I suddenly felt very protective of my twenty little friends.

I got home and put them in my sock drawer. I don't want to smoke them, but I don't want to throw them out, either.

8 Comments:

  • Camels? Camel straights? A fresh, soft package, is it?

    Sigh. Not for me, pal. I can't smoke just one. I'm telling you, those things really had me.

    My mouth STILL waters thinking about them. And 3 Castles Tobacco? Forget about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 AM  

  • Claud--
    do you ever get the feeling we were separated at birth?

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:36 PM  

  • Never smoked, but I've broken myself of other bad habits. All I have to say is: uh-oh.

    By Blogger Sherri, at 8:05 PM  

  • Sherri you're so funny!

    And Feemus: Yes, and did you get Dad's nose? Cause I did!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 PM  

  • Uh oh, indeed.

    It's like my brain found a bit of old code and ran with it.

    Bad habits, Sherri? I am intrigued...

    Hmmm....Claud. Is it slightly bulbous and a little off-center? 'Cause that's the one I got. I like to think it works for me, though.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 7:52 AM  

  • I can sympathize, Feemus. I quit (for the third and hopefully final time) back in May. Three reasons - first, I'm getting married next May and she really did not like my smoking even though I never smoke around her. Second, AZ passed a state-wide no smoking bill which means we can't smoke inside any more. This is fine in the winter months, but during the summer it's often too hot to smoke outside. And third, that whole cancer thing. I'm still at that point that I sometimes get a craving for one, but have only given in to that craving once - that was after quite a bit of beer.

    By Blogger RogueHistorian, at 1:20 PM  

  • Keep up the good work, Rogue! And you're pretty funny: to paraphrase a little from Miss Jean Brodie -- "Are you aware of the order of importance in which you place your anxieties?

    I had to laugh! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:44 PM  

  • Way to go, Rogue! Third time's a charm.

    I really think that you have to have a couple of trial runs at quitting before it sticks. At least I did.

    Jean Brodie! Love it.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home