This Blog is Stolen Property

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Habent Sua Fata Libelli , or The Many Ways in Which Feemus is a Big Jerk

What does the Delphic oracle say? Know Thyself? Well, Feemus must have missed that day in Inscription 101.

I decided to "work" from home today. Which means that I slept in, opened my laptop, got ready to go to the gym but didn't go, turned my laptop on, watched a little television, sat down at my laptop.
Read blogs. Checked box scores. Posted a blog entry (about the fresh, new issue of gay marriage). Checked how my fantasy baseball team was doing (about as well as the Mariners--some fantasy!). Read some more blogs.

Sigh.

But then I decided that since I was home, I would take care of the book situation. They breed, as anyone who owns a lot of books knows. They are taking over my living room. And dining room. And bedroom.

Today I am being ruthless. I will show those books no ruth.

There are some easy cuts: if you own four copies of Measure for Measure, probably at least two of them can go. Maybe three. But then there are the ones that just stymie me: how did I get them? Why have I kept them? What should I do with them? These fall into a few different categories:

1. "Classics" that I think I should own
These are usually books from classes that I have taken or classes I have taught that have historical (or even literary) value, but which I don't ever intend to read again. Uncle Tom's Cabin is the sort of Platonic form for this category. I will never read this book again, I don't like it, but I haven't been able to part with it. Because, you know, it's important.

Today, I am parting with it. With them all. At least, that's the plan.

2. The Totems
These are the books I know I may never read. But somehow owning them gives me the sense that I participate in their power. I may read a paragraph now and then (if there's ever a pop quiz on the opening paragraphs of Truth and Method, I'm all set), but mostly my relationship to them is one of magical thinking: If I own the complete works of Heidegger, I will somehow--without exerting any effort--know more about German philosophy.

For all I know, this may actually be working--who know how little I might understand German philosophy if I didn't keep these books collecting dust on my shelves? It's theoretically possible (but only just) that I could know less about the subject. But only just.

These I am keeping, vowing to read them.

3. The Pretenders
This is a somewhat, but not entirely, overlapping category with the totems. But with these books, the power comes not from the object, but from the visibility of the object. I couldn't, for instance, have people come over for supper and see that I don't own a copy of the latest Coetzee. It just wouldn't do.

This category is, perhaps, the "taboo" to the aforementioned "totem." Not owning these books represents a kind of transgression that I am not willing to make.

I'm exaggerating a little. Still, I'm not going to (re)read about 60% of them. They're outta here.

4. The "What the Hell?"
This is a broad category that encompasses all the books whose relationship with my shelves seems entirely inexplicable. Books of Portuguese poetry (I don't know Portuguese). The odd romance novel (no one in the house reads these). 5 copies of Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. Five?? I don't even really like Blake.

Blake's gone. I'm probably never going to learn Portuguese well enough to read poetry, so they're gone, too. Although...I am getting to be able to read the signs on the buses that are in Portuguese. Mostly they are telling me to get tested for HIV. The Portuguese word for "narcotics" is "estupeficantes." Ok, ok I can't actually read the signs, I just pick out the cognates and fill in the rest from the English sign. I will never read that damn poetry. It seems like a nice language, though. Sorry, Portuguese poetry, but you're gone.

Oh, and the bosom-heavers are gone, too. All but one--it has a pretty sexy cover.

So, I have been sorting books and making some unpleasant self-discoveries. And I haven't gotten any work done. Maybe I should just throw in the towel and see if I can catch a rerun of Celebrity Fit Club on VH1. The wonderful thing about t.v. is how little it asks from you. You can watch all you want and it doesn't take up any more space in your living room.

10 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 AM  

  • This is so great -- I really was laughing out loud reading this post, then I went downtstairs to see what's on the shelf. Now, of course, I'm depressed. I know why I have two copies of The Accidental Tourist -- I give it away so often I need a few extras around; same goes for any doubles of Vonnegut. My totem, sorry to say, is, Understanding Power The Indispensable Noam Chomsky. I keep it around because I just know I'd agree with him if I ever got around to reading it. So now I'm depressed, having just come face to face with my own preposterousness (ness?). Sigh, indeed!

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 12:35 PM  

  • Ah, yes.

    I, too, have a Chomsky totem. If there is ever a pop quiz on the first paragraph of Prospects and Power, I'm all set.

    Keeping two copies is brilliant! I love Steve Erickson (the best writer no one's heard of), and used to give his books away frequently, esp. the better ones. Then they went out of print, and I was left with just the two sort of sucky ones. I kind of panicked when I couldn't find any copies in the used book stores.

    And then a friend reminded me of a little thing called "the internet."

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:22 PM  

  • I feel your pain.

    The bookshelves in the family "library" were bowing under the weight of thousands of books I loved once, long ago and not so long ago. Some were still on the NYT Best Seller list.

    "Oh my God," I whispered to myself as I took a good look at the shelves in the basement, "I'm a book hoarder. I'm the bibliophilic equivalent of a Crazy Cat Lady."

    So at the last big subdivision-wide garage sale, I hauled six boxes of hard cover primo $24 books to the sidewalk and put a $1 price tag on EVERY one of them.

    And by God if I didn't sell all but three of them. One of the three that I didn't sell was a signed Nicholas Sparks hard cover, oddly enough.

    I was very proud of myself.

    And then the next day I was just sick with regret. Sick.

    I'm the crazy guy who borrows a book like The Corrections and then has to go out and buy it after I'm done reading because it becomes a favorite book, ergo it must be on my shelf somewhere.

    Crazy. I am effing CRAZY.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 AM  

  • No comment on the Chomsky, BTW.

    Dwight slowly shakes his head in bemusement.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:43 AM  

  • I KNOW I should be able to figure this out, but what does BTW mean? This stuff is just too hard for me. It took me years of being aggravated every time I saw "LOL" because I could never figure out what it meant -- now I know what it means and it annoys me still...about the books, Dwight -- does it help to tell yourself that they're out there now where people can use them? I know, I know, I'm boring myself here, too. Lord...shut UP!

    Feemus: You changed your picture -- you can't fool me! And I love the way I get away with pretending Chomsky is the ONLY totem I have!

    Hey, you guys...on a kinder, gentler subject: what's your dearest, tenderest love in your collection? Sniff.

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 9:08 AM  

  • "By the way."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

  • Dearest as a text, Practical, or as an object?

    That is to say, for the words in it or for the thingliness of it?

    Either way, tough call. Do you know yours?

    By Blogger Feemus, at 12:26 PM  

  • Thanks for the definition, both of you!!

    And I think I'm talking about the "thingliness" of it -- for me it might be this copy of The Turn of the Screw that includes a ton of literary criticism. We have history together, me and that book. I used to have the sweetest copy of Wuthering Heights, though, and that was a wonder to hold -- lost that one in a breakup cause it was actually his, not mine...like that promotional copy of The Who Sell Out I used to "have," by which I mean "stole"-- that I no longer have...cause it was stolen from me, actually.

    By Blogger Claudia / PVS, at 12:59 PM  

  • A promotional copy of The Who Sell Out? That would totally be my favorite if I had it.

    I guess mine would be a copy of Steve Erickson's Arc d'X that someone got for me after I gave him my copy and then it went out of print (the same old sob story).

    Also maybe a copy of The Golden Bough from the 40s that I got for 75 cents. I loves me a bargain.

    I did change my picture. I think my eye shows up better in this portrait than in that old sculpture.

    I wish I'd know that A Brief History of Time was an easy read--I might have read it.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home