This Blog is Stolen Property

Monday, October 23, 2006

Is "White Trash" a Language?

I always thought of it as more of a dialect.*

Today someone asked with polite curiosity what my first language is. It's English. Which we were both speaking.

One of us better than the other, apparently. Ah, well.

I wonder what language she thought was my native tongue. Anacolouthian? Fragmentese? Babbleonian? Is Gibberish a real language? It probably was my first language, come to think on it.


*I don't think this dialectical difference makes me unintelligible. The differences are subtle: for example, while many people watch television or teeVEE, I watch "the TEEvee." Always with the definite article. I also say "different than" rather than "different from." And I don't use the subjunctive when I speak and I occasionally use a double negative. Not when I write, just when I speak. Or if I yell at "the TEEvee" when the game's on.

I also like the double modal. As in: "Feemus, you shouldn't ought to yell at the TEEvee."

It's still English, though.

Here's a linguist joke for you:

What's a language?
>
>
>
A dialect with a gun.

Here's another:

What did the verb say to the noun?
>
>
>
I'd ask you to conjugate, but I'm afraid you'd decline.

Oh, ha ha ha. My god, I am a nerd. I think I now have to beat myself up.

8 Comments:

  • I like your blog.

    By Blogger Identity Crisis, at 3:42 PM  

  • I speak white trash fluently. However, I draw the line at "ain't" unless I'm making a point or doing an impression.

    Wish I'd been reading you longer.

    By Blogger Sherri, at 7:17 PM  

  • Hi Feemus!!

    I think the woman (did you say she was a woman?) who asked you about your first language was feigning worldliness or open-mindedness or something...my hit is that she was trying to impress you(something I no longer bother trying to do myself, however great the temptation).

    My husband, whose first language is Tennessee often asks people where they are at...as in, "Where you at?" An otherwise perfectly normal guy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 AM  

  • Yeah, "ain't" doesn't get much airtime from me, either. It's easy enough to edit out. Not so easy to remember to say "were" instead of "was"--I just quit trying!

    Claudia The Missing (I hope you get found), you are maybe the smartest person ever. I never even thought about that as a motivation. I just assumed that I was in the middle of some gawdawful sentence and she was trying to give me the benefit of the doubt! (this still seems likely). It was still the biggest laugh I had all day.

    Ah, I must also cop to "where" and "at" together. You husband sounds like a fine fellow!

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:29 PM  

  • He's the best. Married to the smartest.

    Good to see you, Feemus!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 PM  

  • I count "Babbleonian," techno-speak, pidgin, and "Erin-talk" (one of my friend's who often needs deciphering) as my languages.

    And you can count one more in the column of people who say "Where you at?" Drives my English-major fiancee nuts, but I've been saying too long to stop now!

    By Blogger RogueHistorian, at 8:56 PM  

  • Claudia's found!! Now I don't have to miss her.

    Do you put those languages on your CV, Roguehistorian? Along with Academese, Foucauldian, and other job specific languages?

    By Blogger Feemus, at 11:31 AM  

  • Nah, I actually spend most of my time working in public history, so all they really care about it work experience. But the ability to speak "Bureaucratese" has proved helpful on a few occasions.

    By Blogger RogueHistorian, at 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home