This Blog is Stolen Property

Monday, January 29, 2007

Whiny Confessional Post

I had to fail a student today and I feel just sick about it.

It's pretty rare--thanks to grade inflation and a motivated student body, this problem doesn't come up often. And usually when it does, the student has so exhausted my patience that I don't care. Often it's a case of academic dishonesty.

And usually the kind of kid who's in danger of failing because of blowing off class is a total system-working tool. He calls, emails, weasels, and pleads toward the end of the semester. If they put the energy into their work that they do into working me, they'd be fine.

But this student just sort of evaporated. Didn't turn in his term paper. Didn't turn up for the final. I've tried emailing him to offer amnesty and he doesn't answer. His adviser says that there's nothing particularly going on in his life that would explain his noshowism.

I typically am annoyed by all the babysitting we have to do here to make sure that the precious darlings don't ever have to feel the effects of their choices. But this kid just has me in knots. I keep picturing him huddled in his room watching Heathers for the 108th time and getting ready to Quentin Compson himself off this mortal coil.

Blech.

Although maybe he's just been too busy snorting coke off the thighs of coeds to care. I hope so.



Thanks for listening.

6 Comments:

  • Time for you to read John Ciardi's On Flunking A Nice Boy Out of School.

    "It's twelve weeks work I want, and I'd sooner have it from the brassiest lumpkin in pimpledom, but HAVE it, than suffer all these martyred repentences from you."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

  • Sorry, Feemus. It could be so many things, I hope you're imaginings don't take you too far...you just never know.

    My friend Julie once told me that sometimes what looks to us like the most awful thing someone is doing might just be the most important thing they have to do.

    It could be important.

    Be good to yourself, my friend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 PM  

  • I did that, many years ago. My fiance and I were in the same classes, and after a scary breakup I just quit going. The prof called me after I missed the final and offered to let me make it up. He was really concerned, almost made me cry. It was especially touching, because he was a gruff old guy, didn't take shit off anybody. Kind of like you, Feemus.

    By Blogger Sherri, at 8:43 PM  

  • It's true, Dwight--if I'd had any martyred repentences I wouldn't feel so bad. But not a peep.

    Thanks you guys for the wisdom and the perspective. You're the best.

    Maybe he's off writing an epic poem or learning Sanskrit or recuperating from a breakup. And not weeping softly into his quilt and thinking "hey, that Plath lady had some good ideas."

    thanks again,
    Feemus

    By Blogger Feemus, at 7:05 AM  

  • Well if helps to assuage your guilt at all, just remember that you did try to reach out to him and offer a helping hand. You've done about all you can short of going and knocking on his door. And quite frankly, being both a student and a heavily involved TA in recent past, that sort of thing would just be weird.

    By Blogger RogueHistorian, at 8:29 AM  

  • Research has proven that a therapeutic gay sizegenetics and an erotic male sizegenetics greatly reduce how much discomfort and pain that one feels after surgery. Here's a very big benefit to folks that are planning to be up and running and back to normal in a very short space time. Whether that you are into a therapeutic gay sizegenetics or an erotic male sizegenetics it's crucial you just identify and find an outstanding masseur or sizegenetics therapist who possess the whole set of right qualities and skills. It's possible that you'll come across some therapeutic gay sizegenetics therapists who may not would like to perform an erotic male sizegenetics likewise the exact opposite is also true.
    http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home