This Blog is Stolen Property

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

That Stoichiometry Problem Was Just Beautiful

Matthew Arnold says something about how the history of culture alternates between epochs of expansion and contraction. Great periods of creativity are enabled, Arnold argues, by periods of reflection and criticism.

Now, the things that Matthew Arnold and I agree on can probably be counted on one hand. One hand with a couple of amputated fingers. But lately I've found something attractive in this notion, in part because it legitimizes the work of literary criticism and in part because lately I can't get any work done.

So I'm telling myself that I am in an epoch of contraction. Hm.

One of the things I've been reflecting on in this epoch of contraction is what it means to teach literature. I'll save the "why bother" question for tomorrow's post (I feel an epoch of productivity coming on), but today I'll take it as a given that we do, in fact, bother with literature and I'll take up the question of what it is, precisely, that gets taught.

I had some friends over the other night, including a very nice gentleman whom I'd just met. He was browsing through the bookshelves and pulled out a copy of Milton. "Do you like this," he asked me. His tone wasn't belligerent or derisive, but bewildered.

"Yeah," I said, a little embarrassed.

"I had to read that my freshman year in college," he said, "and I hated it."

"Oh." I was at a bit of a loss. "Maybe you didn't have a very good teacher."

I said that just as a filler, just as something to say so that I wouldn't have to defend Milton or my literary taste or to reassure my guest that it's ok to hate Milton (which, of course, it is, but it sounds patronizing to tell someone so).

So I just said it as a reflex, as something to say. But as soon as I said it, I realized both what utter bullshit it is and how pervasive a notion it is, on both sides of the pedagogical relationship. Both teachers and students seem to have it engrained in them that teaching literature in large part means teaching the appreciation of literature.

For students, this notion manifests itself in pretty transparent ways. If they didn't like the books, the class must've sucked. Or, more common where I teach, the students fall all over themselves in their essays to prove how much they enjoyed the texts. These essays are excruciating. I call them the "Shakespeare is an important theme in the plays of William Shakespeare." These essays evince no original thought and resort to such critical ciphers or tautologies as "the human" or, for the very dim or very young students, "the relatable."

It would chill you to the bone to hear how often a student's thesis is something like: "the work of Sophocles is important and good because it is still so relatable. It remains relevant to our lives even 2500 years later." Swap in whoever for "Sophocles" and an appropriate time value for "2500" and you've got about 50% of the essays I read. And then the student proceeds to warp the work in order to make it fit with contemporary values. Antigone was a feminist. Hamlet is an everyman. The Wife of Bath is Hilary Clinton.

You get the idea.

As much as I caution my students against this, I realize that I may be complicit in this ethos of "appreciation." Because, of course, I do appreciate literature and I want my students to, as well. But I think it's important to remember that this is a mushy and ultimately secondary pedagogical aim. Writing about literature involves analysis and patient argumentation, it is, as Nietzsche reminds us, the slow, fine work of the goldsmith applied to language:

it teaches how to read well: i.e. slowly, profoundly, attentively, prudently, with inner thoughts, with the mental doors ajar, with delicate fingers and eyes.


One of the results of this slow attention, this training of the inner thought and the delicate fingers and eyes, is appreciation. But appreciation is something that happens (or maybe doesn't happen) alongside the activity of criticism. One need not enjoy Milton in order to attend to him, to exfoliate the densities and ellipticalities of his verse. I think perhaps we would do ourselves a great service in literature classes if we were more aware of how much we let the idea of "appreciation" creep in. People tend to really appreciate (rather than just cyncially perform their appreciation in an assignment) what challenges them, what expands their understanding.

I somehow don't imagine that chemistry teachers, as much as they want their students to enjoy their subject, have "appreciation" at the top of their pedagogical priorities. Neither, I think, should we.

Any thoughts? Any memories of what made a great literature class? I've been thinking a lot about the role of literature in education during my epoch of reflection, and I would love to hear other thoughts. My own shift so frequently and my students are of surprisingly little help (comments on course evaluations range from: "you are nice and funny" to "I hate that sweater you always wear" to "you didn't let us write about 'themes'--what the fuck was I supposed to write about? I hope you get fired" to "you're so funny it hardly felt like going to class" (now there's a dubious compliment!) to "you say 'interesting' too much. God, can't you think of another adjective?")--I am curious what other people think.

3 Comments:

  • I never took a literature course in college, my schedule filled to the brim with heavy math, chem, engineering, and girl chasing, but for me, the most engaging part of literature, is partly the challenging of my mind, as you've said. But also, for me, its simply the discovery of a point of view or an idea that I had not considered or encountered.

    Its got to be a strange place you find yourself in then, to want to teach students the material without making them feel like they must LOVE the material to understand it. I think most people take the axiom 'To know it is to love it and to love it is to know it' a bit too far. Maybe they feel that if they don't love it, they just didn't understand it, and once comprehension rains down gently upon their faces, they will suddenly feel the rushing winds of amorous affection towards the material. Like dating the cute girl who does everything for you who people tell you you SHOULD love but...nothing is clicking. Clearly you're in the wrong because you dont love her.

    hmmm.

    I dont think Im qualified to answer your question, actually.

    Ah well. There's my two pesos.

    Benticore
    Out

    By Blogger Benticore, at 10:46 AM  

  • I think I don't know what they were trying to teach me in English class.

    I'm such a rube. The point of the education, as far as I could tell, was to coax me into seeing more than just the events of the story. I probably never stopped being a lunkhead, but I did become aware writing could contain a great deal of depth.

    My most vivid memories of English class involve coming to a completely different conclusion about a passage than what the instructor said the "correct" interpretation was. Sometimes I'd pipe up, sometimes I wouldn't, but those instances stood out in my mind.

    You seem to be saying that teaching literature is about teaching students to think clearly, consciously, and precisely about what they read.

    This is interesting, because what we're trying to do in teaching physics is to teach students to think clearly, consciously, and precisely about how reality behaves.

    It's all about training scatterbrains to focus, apparently.

    By Blogger jjdebenedictis, at 8:39 PM  

  • That girl-chasing final could be a real GPA killer, huh? (I won't even make a joke about the oral exam. Because that would be in very poor taste...)

    And, B, I bet you never tried to prove to your math profs how much you *appreciated* the problems. Although, an elegant proof is quite delightful.

    I think this "appreciation" nonsense slips in because unlike the sciences or even most of the humanities, reading IS something that people do for leisure/pleasure (granted, some folks do math problems for fun, but not as many as read, I think) and so it feels natural in some ways to talk about books in terms of the pleasures they afford.

    I think some of it also (on the students' part--my own culpability here is hazier) the result of being bullied by crappy English teachers, such as the situation JJ describes.

    I remember those classes all too well, feeling like I had to find some decoder ring for the text in order to come up with the right interpretation (which always seems to only ever related but tenuously to the text). It was profoundly alienating.

    I think some kids have gone through this and then fall back on "appreciation" as something that they can do, because they feel stymied by project of analysis.

    One of the things I try to emphasize to my students is that they shouldn't be afraid of the text. There certainly ARE wrong interpretations (even if there isn't a right one), but you're not going to hurt anything or anyone by making a mistake. It's a book, not fissionable material!

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home