This Blog is Stolen Property

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Professor Backwards Died Yesterday When His Cries of "pleH" Went Unnoticed

I have a plea for help. It's a bit of a long shot, but here goes.

I remember reading a story in The New Yorker or maybe the Atlantic Monthly about 12-15 years ago (when I still read the fiction in these mags) and for some reason this story popped into my head last week and now I am obsessing about it.

Because I can't ever remember plots, I have no idea what happened in the story, or even what it was about. If it was The New Yorker, probably nothing, you know, actually happened. But what I do remember, is someone talking about feeling both a quietness and a sense of expectation, a kind of prolonged about-to-happen-ness.

He likens this sense of quiet expectation to the first reel of a Deborah Kerr movie, when she's going about her ordinary life, before the Burt Lancaster character appears. We are living, the narrator said, "in the days before Burt."

I've got this stuck in my head and I can't find it anywhere. I've googled the shit out of every possible combination of words, and nada. I put it into a number of the university's periodical databases and nothing. I am starting to wonder if I made it up.

I know this is a totally random, but does anyone remember reading this?

The last time I had something like this nagging at me like this it was about some song that someone put on a "mix tape" for me 20+ years ago and all I could remember was that the lyrics included the phrase "fuck Mary Tyler Moore." After pestering my friends to see if anyone remembered this song, I finally did a google search and came up with some very unpleasant things (poor Mary!). But at last I found the song. Hm....all I can say is that the mid-80's was a weird weird time.

6 Comments:

  • Sorry, Feem. Don't know it. Love the MTM thing, though.

    You have of course read, "More Alarms In The Night" by James Thurber?

    It could be a comfort to you in these times.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger glassfrequency, at 10:32 PM  

  • you could try this search:

    http://tinyurl.com/25uk58

    It's a New Yorker search for "fiction" from the years 1992 through 1997.

    Since most of the results will be abstracts- it's doubtful the Kerr/Lancaster bit would be helpful.

    Good luck.

    By Blogger glassfrequency, at 11:25 PM  

  • thanks for the tip, glassfrequency! I'll check that out.

    Funnily enough, Claud, all I CAN remember is "Perth Amboy." Seriously, thanks so much for reminding me of that story--is there any situation that Thurber can't make better?

    By Blogger Feemus, at 11:04 AM  

  • Helter-skelter!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM  

  • I want not acquiesce in on it. I over nice post. Particularly the designation attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home