This Blog is Stolen Property

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

War on Christmas? Bring it on!

I'm annoyed enough to take on some other holidays, too. I'm looking at you, Flag Day. You want a piece of me, St. Patrick's Day? Yeah?

Bring. It. On.

A campus newspaper is accusing the university where I work of a "systematic attack on religious holidays" and of engaging in "political correctness" that "alienates...the majority." The author accuses the university of "an assault" on holy days.

The author of the article is angry because the day planners that were handed out at the beginning of the year don't have Christmas on them.

Boo fucking hoo. You must be soooo alienated.

I'm assuming that the author of the article knows when Christmas is, so presumably she's not worried about missing it. She's worried about not having official acknowledgment of something that's important to her. I get that, but I hardly think that leaving off a date from a calendar is tantamount to a "systematic attack."

But I guess "pointless omission" doesn't sound as scary as "systematic attack."

The aggrieved, put-upon tone is all too familiar. Everybody on the Pat Buchanan side of the culture wars has the same tone, although as far as I know no one is preventing anyone from celebrating Christmas. But the culture warriors manage to feel "assaulted" and marginalized just by having a date left off a calendar. And these are the same people who bitch about the "victim mentality." Sheesh.

She mentions, with magnanimous ecumenicalism, that Yom Kippur and Ramadan are also omitted. She fails to mention that the University has all major Christian holidays off, but doesn't even have the holiest of Jewish holidays off, despite a student and faculty population that's about 1/4 Jewish. She also doesn't seem to know much about her own faith, as she focuses nearly all her energies on Christmas, and gives Easter only a passing mention. Maybe she doesn't know that Easter is the most sacred day in the Christian calendar.

I think that's what annoys me most. The people who bellyache the loudest about the "War on Christmas" are usually not the devout, who are typically happy enough to have secular institutions staying the fuck out of their faith. It's just reactionary dickheads who worry that if we take Christmas off the day planner today, then tomorrow we might come after their whacking great piles of unearned money. It's all about the power (and the Benjamins), baby. And they could really care fuck all about Baby Jesus.

But what really gets my goat is this: why the fuck is the university buying day planners for the students? Can't they buy their own fucking day planners? I didn't get a day planner.

2 Comments:

  • "She fails to mention that the University has all major Christian holidays off, but doesn't even have the holiest of Jewish holidays off, despite a student and faculty population that's about 1/4 Jewish."

    Really? All of both of them? Even the one that's a national holiday and the one that falls on a Sunday? You guys don't have school on national holidays or Sundays?

    Wow. I can't believe they'd shove their values down your throat like that. You guys should TOTALLY show up for classes on National holidays and Sundays! You know, SHOW THAT SMUG 81% of the population that you won't stop giving their values the finger until THEY are erroded to 19% of the population!

    That'd be cool!

    But then... uh... I guess they'd have the persecuted minority high ground to start shoving back, huh?

    Hmmmmm.

    Maybe I better rethink this.

    Maybe I will move to France and then sue everybody there until they stop speaking French and act just like me. American's aren't entitled to a dominant culture. Why should the Frogs get one?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 AM  

  • Dwight,
    I think you're missing the big picture here: why didn't *I* get a day planner.

    Focus, man.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home