This Blog is Stolen Property

Saturday, March 17, 2007

I Guess It's Got Moxie?

There was a big anti-war protest in Washington today. I couldn't get down to D.C., but I picked up a flyer at a coffee shop because there are often smaller local protests when there's something big going on in Washington.

And as disturbed as I am by the Schopenhaurian stadium mentality of mass protests, I also kind of like them. I find the chanting soothing.

Plus, of course, the whole trying to stop the war thing.

Well, this flyer was hilarious. Across the top it said: "STOP THE WAR." So far, so good, right?

Then, around the border of the flyer was written:

Money for AIDS
Stop sexism and rape
Bring troops home
Help the homeless
End racism
Education funding
Stop Global WARMING

Ok, is it just me, or is this maybe a teensy bit ambitious for a single march?

I had a hard time explaining to the very earnest young barista why I was laughing about helping the homeless. Which is not, of course, a laughing matter. As her adorably stern look reminded me.

2 Comments:

  • The traditions of AA talk about "a singleness of purpose" -- part of the reason we don't also address other addictions in AA -- it this kind of ambition, I think, can destroy any hope of achieving your single or "primary purpose."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

  • Honestly, how can one expect to persuade the gov't on so many points at once??

    I mean, all those things are worthy goals. I support each of them. But one can't just protest for "social justice."

    "Singleness of purpose"--that's a good phrase. Can you imagine if the March on Washington in '63 had expanded its aims to include every kind of wrong being perpetrated by the government? Civil rights would have suffered for certain.

    It was a very funny flyer, though. Very earnest.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home