This Blog is Stolen Property

Monday, March 12, 2007

My Life in E-Mail

Regarding an essay that is due on THURSDAY:

Hey Feemus,
Can I email you my paper? Can I get it to you on Wednesday? What is the deadline if I turn it in on Wednesday?

thanks,
Eager Student


I'm puzzled, but I don't care if she turns it in a day early. I respond thusly:

Dear Eager,
If you don't wish to turn in your paper in class on Thursday, you may put it in my mailbox. I do prefer a hard copy.

best,
Feemus


You'd think that would suffice, no? No.

Hey Feemus,
I just asked because some teachers are really strict about handing in a paper after the material has been covered in class. So I just wanted to check. Is it ok if I hand it in during class?

Eager


Sweet Fancy Moses. I've NEVER heard of anyone being "strict" about this sort of thing. Maybe in a math class? But surely one class is not going to exhaust the things that can be said about Milton. And it's not like I'm not going to remember what I said. And besides, unless she were actually writing her paper DURING class, the paper wouldn't even BE written after the material was "covered."

And if I cared about this, doesn't it stand to reason that I would have said so??

Seriously, have you ever heard of any teacher being "strict" about this kind of nonsense?

So I reply:

Dear Eager,
I have no such policy. You may turn your paper in after class [and here I refrain from adding: "just like everyfuckingone else who can read the syllabus and doesn't pester me with these timewasting missives." I am a model of restraint].

best,
Feemus


One would think this would be the end, right? Not a chance.

Hey Feemus,
Ok. Can I turn it in on Friday then?

Eager


I am frankly bewildered. This is positively the most Byzantine and counterintuitive way that I have EVER seen someone ask for an extension.

Dear Eager,
I no longer care when, where, or how you turn in your paper. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. In class, in my mailbox, via email. It no longer matters. I have lost the will to read it. Even a sense of morbid curiosity is not enough to sustain my interest in anything that you write. Nor will a sense of professional obligation compel me to do so. You win. I have decided that your will receive a B in the course. Whether or not you choose to turn in any work is entirely up to you. I am entirely past caring.

with kindest regards,
A Beaten Man

4 Comments:

  • Oh Snap!

    Sometimes it's mind-boggling the amount of prestidigitation some students go through to get out of doing extra work, especially since their efforts in avoiding the work far exceed the actual work their avoiding. And I'm just speaking from the experience of going through high school and college. I'm sure you've got more horror stories than you care to ever share. Yikes!

    Benticore
    Out

    By Blogger Benticore, at 10:03 AM  

  • I think that some of them are process junkies. This compulsion to email, these long drawn out explanations, the (quite unnecessary) advocacy they enlist from deans and parents (I get quite a few emails saying something like: "Jimmy can't make it to class because of glee club. Please accomodate his absence." Fuck, people--you're grown ups, act like it!)--I think that they are addicted to the process.

    At least that's the theory this week.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 3:02 PM  

  • Oh man, Feemus -- "process junkies" -- fabulous!!! May I use that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 AM  

  • sure, Claudia. I steal your bons mots all the time!!

    By Blogger Feemus, at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home