This Blog is Stolen Property

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Dustbin of Bloggery

My brain is a little worn out (not from overuse, I assure you!). Usually writing this blog is a way of doing some (minimal) intellectual work without the pressures of production. When I'm stuck at work, writing something low-stakes and/or playful helps me reconnect with why I like language and/or why I think it's important.

But lately I feel just as stuck with the blog as I do with everything else. This too shall pass, of course. But it's led to some rather banal posts (don't deny it), so I thought I would go into the "edit posts" feature of Blogger and see if I had started any substantive or funny posts that I could finish up.

Well, it turns out I've started and abandoned LOTS of posts, some of which just have a title and some of which have notes, and almost all of which are a total mystery to me. This one looks to be literary analysis coupled with some sleep-deprived raving:

Watching the Detectives

I am Feemus's insomnia. In desperation, have taken to falling asleep in front of tv. Detective shows are best for falling asleep. 21 Jumpstreet or The Rockford Files are the jackpot. Barnaby Jones ok, too. Wonder if Buddy Ebson liked Donna Douglas or Lee Meriwether better.

Structural difference between detective stories and fairy tales:


In detective stories, even edgy or genre-bending ones, the structure is revelatory; opacity eventually gives way to transparency. Motives become more or less intelligibe. Everything that happens means something. All process is process toward an end—even the inevitable red herrings are involved in that process. Fairy tales are the opposite. Instead of being essential, instead of leading the way to eventual unravelment, details in fairy tales are very often just there. They seem to resist rational explanation or to fit themselves into the plot in any way. Why, for instance, are Cinderella’s slippers made from glass? Does it matter? Is some point being made about transparency in the midst of disguise and dissembling? A girl born into privilege who is made to act like a servant dressing up as a privileged girl, the clarity of the glass slippers being emblematic of the fact that she was disguised as her true self. Is it suggesting that we are always in a state of performance even if what we are performing is the truth? Nothing is ever explained in a fairy tale. Details assume a kind of transcendent meaning because they remain at the level of suggestion, because they refuse to yield their secrets. Would Bluebeard have killed his wife if she hadn’t opened the forbidden room? And why was Bluebeard’s beard blue? This detail, important enough to find its way into the title of the story, important enough to name the character, is never explained. The blue beard was grotesque in its irrelevance to the story, in its inconsequence. Or is it inconsequential? Was Bluebeard murderous because of his disfigurement? Was his disfigurement the external manifestation of a maimed and brutal soul? Why didn’t he simply shave?

Lee Meriwether, I bet.

Well, at least I see where I was going with that one. But what about this?

bacon

weil - bacon - johnson - tom tancredo - risch


Your guess is as good as mine. This one seems simple enough:

Crazy Sells

Ron Paul, Mike Gravel. Crazy is the new White Southern in Presidential politics.


This one seems to have been on roughly the same subject:

Loyal to the UnRealpolitik

I love watching Gravel throw that rock into the lake. Don't ask me why. Dude's nuts.


This one, I was clearly pissed off. Frankly, I still am, but no longer have the energy to sustain it:

Harvey Mansfield Can Suck My Thumos

I don't even think he really understands the concept of thumos, and are we really going to let a culture that wouldn't let women out of doors dictate our notions of gender? Seriously?


But the jewel in the crown of incomprehensibility is this one, that has nothing but a title:

irredeemable evil


I wonder what side I was coming down on, pro or con?

5 Comments:

  • Pretty damn funny, Feemus, but..."Dustbin?"

    Say...what are you, English or something? Or is that the way people talk around where you live?

    In God's Country, we don't talk like that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 PM  

  • it was meant to be a shout out to old L. Trotsky and his "dustbin of history."

    But I guess it didn't work.

    It's funny you should mention how one speaks in "God's Country." I was having a drink last night with a friend from Louisiana and we were talking about the "mis"pronounciations and ungrammaticalities that we grew up with in our speech and how, since becoming tools of privilege, we have tried to eradicate these.

    But we also spoke of our growing sense of rebellion, the things we refuse to adapt to prestige dialect. For me, it's "creek" rhymes with "pick."

    I guess that's not really about your comment at all. More just a random association.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 6:55 PM  

  • Have you read the book "Manliness" by Harvey Mansfield? If not, why make a comment like you did? If so, (and you understood it) what is your preferred basis for gender relations?

    By Blogger Chuck, at 8:10 PM  

  • Hi, Chuck. Thanks for stopping by.

    I did, in fact, read Manliness. And, without being completely immodest, I think it entirely likely that I understood it. Which was why I was annoyed with it.

    Mansfield, like Allan Bloom and Francis Fukuyama want to take an essentialized and masculinized concept of thumos and to present it as a necessary political/cultural good.

    Ok, I guess, as far as the "Plato" of the Republic goes (or perhaps more accurately as far as the Straussian version of Plato goes). But to read it this way in Homer is to read Homer backwards through the Republic. Thumos is neither exclusively male in the monumental poems nor is it necessarily a political good. In fact, Odysseus' thumos gets a lot of his men needlessly killed. And tis is precisely the context when M argues that thumos is at its best: when its potential destructiveness is tempered by its possessor's concern for female virtue.

    HM wants us to believe that manliness is identifiable with courage and daring and strength. But if this is the case, why is it threatened by housework (threatened by housework, but not, apparently, by institutionalized pedersaty)? Shouldn't manliness be stronger than that? Why must manliness be so fragile in his formulation? If manliness is that which is stronger than femininity, why does manliness shatter at the touch of a Hoover?

    I think equality is a pretty good basis for gender relations.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 8:13 AM  

  • Oh!

    Well, Feem, even if my life depended on it, I'm pretty sure I couldn't fake knowing anything about olde Trotsky. Not one thing.

    Or maybe I could go, "Yeah, I've heard of him...he IS a him, right?" It would be such a potentially boring conversation, though!

    :) :) :)

    p.s. I do smiley guys these days. That's how it is. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home