This Blog is Stolen Property

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Separation of Church and the #8

Now, I'm usually all for religious tolerance. But if my commute keeps getting used as a battlefield in a Crusade, I'm going to go all Saladin on its ass.

The bus is loud and annoying as it is. There is the woman (I'm sure I've mentioned her) who talks on her cell phone about how great the Atkins diet is. Every single day.

Yeah, I can have all the bacon I want....yeah....no, really....and cheese....yeah, and hamburger...


How many friends can this woman have that can stand to listen to this list of saturated fat every day???

There's the guy who sings opera. Loudly.

There's the usual assortment of crazy people, normal people, arguing couples, chatting couples, sad babies, happy babies--in short, just general noise. That's just how it is.

BUT...the missionaries? MUST. BE. STOPPED.

Seriously, I have nothing against Mormonism. Well, except for the super-offensive posthumous baptizing of Shoa victims. I do have that against the Church as an institution, I suppose, but nothing against individual Mormons. Most Mormons I know are kind, tolerant, and interesting.

But I very very much have something against being proselytized every day on my commute.

My favorite was the time the missionary woman sat down next to me, nudged my open book, and said without a trace of irony: "It's wonderful how some people can read on the bus."

It was wonderful, my dear. It was.

Here's my question: how much do you have to suck at missionary school that they send you to Boston??? It's like the assignment for people who couldn't learn another language or evince any kind of cultural sensitivity?

It's this latter point that pushed me over the edge today.

There's a homeless guy who rides my bus. Nice enough guy. Smells bad, but I'm sure I would, too, if I were homeless. So this missionary guy starts talking to him. The homeless guy has the best missionary shut-down line I've ever heard:

Oh yeah. My family's Mormon. My brother's a good Mormon. He got a draft deferral to go on his mission. I got sent Vietnam.


Ouch. But the missionary guy didn't get the sarcasm, I guess. Because he said--I am not making this up--he said: "Oh, Asia. I've always wanted to go to China."

What the hell?

But it got worse. The missionary guy then asked the homeless guy--I could NOT make this up--he asked him: "Where's your favorite place to eat in Cambridge?"

Um, the guy's homeless. Homeless. He's not exactly working his way through Zagat's.

I wouldn't mind the conversion attempts on the bus if the people who are supposed to be my spiritual superiors had anything like a damn clue.

Sheesh.

8 Comments:

  • I think it was a whattacallit -- improvisation, because what the missionary guy WANTED to ask was, "So what do YOU do for a living?" and then decided not to. Hmmm...what to ask, what to ask...oh, I know! And so on.

    Feemus, you are too damn funny! Another great post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 AM  

  • One of my friend's grandfather (who was in a wheelchair) got sick of the Jahova's Witnesses coming by to bother him. He repeatedly told them he wasn't interested and asked them to leave him alone. But they didn't. So one day he rolled out with a 9mm on one leg, a full clip on the other, slammed the clip in, chambered a round, put the gun back on his leg, looked up, smiled, and said "Now, what was it you wanted?" They apparently never came back.

    I wouldn't necessarily advocate this approach. It's probably a pretty good way to get the attention of the police. Unless you live in Texas, Montana, or Idaho (which is actually where this took place!). I find headphones are a pretty good deterent to bus-talkers.

    By Blogger RogueHistorian, at 9:05 AM  

  • I'm laughing at your pain, which is not nice of me at all, but my goodness--this is another very fine rant. Kudos, Feemus!

    [H]ere is the woman (I'm sure I've mentioned her) who talks on her cell phone about how great the Atkins diet is. Every single day.

    Cell phone blockers are illegal in the United States, but I find it very therapeutic to fantasize about having one.

    By Blogger jjdebenedictis, at 9:51 AM  

  • Dude.

    At some point, you'll have to outcrazy the crazy or out missionary the mormons.

    We have some issues in STL with agressive homeless people who wont take no for an answer and will ruin your meal if they feeling really bold.

    My friend Tambora once drew up contracts for peoples souls. He'd then tell homeless people he'd give them $20 if they signed over the rights to their immortal soul right then and there for all eternity and...oh look! Here's a contract and a pen right here. They don't bother him so much anymore.

    I knew a mormon chick in grade school who I had such a crush on but she wouldn't go out with me cause I wasn't mormon. That sucked. I've been bitter against that religion ever since.

    Benticore
    Out

    By Blogger Benticore, at 10:44 AM  

  • You guys are hilarious.

    Rogue, if I pull a Bernie Goetz, I'll have to give up my membership in the Pansy-Ass Liberal society. I'm not sure it's worth it.

    Jen, I am actually DROOLING over that cellphone thingy. I was sitting on the bus the other day and this woman sat next to me, talking loudly on her cell and then, THEN she opened up her bag, pulled out her laptop and tried to get online so that she could settle an argument with the person she was talking to. And she gave me a dirty look when I got up at my stop, thereby forcing her to rearrange her portable office. They are trying to retrofit the subway tunnels for cellular service, which makes me want to tear what's left of my hair out.

    Benticore, I am RIGHT NOW going to print up some contracts OFFERING the missionaries my immortal soul if they will just give me my commute back. That's a pretty sweet deal, right? All eternity with my soul for 27 minutes of peace each morning.

    Claud, as usual, you've put your finger on something I couldn't see. Of course! The missionary was working from some script and gone thrown when he realized he would have to, you know, actually THINK. You're so smart.



    I, Feemus, being of feeble mind and increasingly rickety body, do hereby bequeath my soul to whichever missionary can offer me some peace and quiet. If you want to give me 20 bucks as well, I won't argue.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 4:53 PM  

  • STILL laughing over here. Wonderful!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM  

  • If I were less of a wuss, I'd love to respond to the missionary speech with "I'm Jewish, gay, and a scientist. You and I do not intersect at any point." But I am a wuss, so I rely on the good 'ol iPod to ward off strangers.

    By Blogger Limecrete, at 10:55 PM  

  • yeah, I gotta get one of those ipod things.

    By Blogger Feemus, at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home